Wednesday, August 24, 2011

All my bags are packed...

I'm ready to go..

This time tomorrow, I will be approximately 5 hours into my flight with 9 more to go. I've got my kindle loaded with books, a couple of magazines, researched American's movie selection, packed some benedryl in my carry on, & secured a seat that is in a row with 5 empty seats. I'm not worried one bit about this flight. I actually think I will keep myself pretty occupied if I'm not sprawled out, asleep, on those 5 empty seats (I felt pretty smart about looking into that and making that seat change).

Crazy, that this India/Maldives trip is finally here, after over a year of planning. Like one of my coworkers said, "today must feel like Christmas Eve for you,"and it sure does. It will be hard to sleep tonight with the excitement of the trip.

Somehow this week just flew by, and here I thought it was going to totally drag. Luckily work was a good steady pace of busy, tying up loose ends. In fact, things seemed a little too smooth, as I left work today (unlike the fire drills I left when I went to Africa). I'm hoping I still have a job when I return!!

After stressing for the last couple of weeks about what to pack, I finally think I'm all set. I've been a bit stressed because everything I read about India says to dress conservatively as a woman, you'll get a lot of stares (One of my coworkers told me to already expect a lot of stares being a tall blonde girl, great). Dressing conservatively wouldn't normally be a problem, but it is expected to be hot & humid this time of year (did I mention it's the tail end of Monsoon season). As some of you know, I don't tolerate heat well and was lucky to receive some sweaty genes from the fam! This should be interesting. I did finally settle on some wardrobe choice though. I'm just going to have to tough it out, I guess. I ended up packing some long skirts, tank tops and short sleeve shirts. I plan to cover up with the many scarves and pashminas I intend to buy there, as they are known for their textiles. I'm also hoping to buy some traditional Indian Saris and Salwar Kameez (tunics and gauchos). The books all say wearing traditional Indian attire leaves a positive impression and you can get it relatively cheap. When in Rome...


So what exactly am I going to do when I get there. Well, I'll land approximately 24 hours after I take off. We've secured a hotel in Friend's Colony, New Delhi from 8/26-8/29. While in Delhi we'll wander around and explore the markets, gardens, tombs, forts, & monuments. It's up in the air at this moment. I plan do to do more research on the flight, and we'll make more definitive decisions once we all arrive. From Delhi, we'll head to Agra 8/29-8/31. Agra is the home of the Taj Mahal and we are planning on doing a sunrise tour, which should provide some amazing pictures! There was talk of also doing a day trip to Keoladeo National Park. Once we are done in Agra, we'll be exploring Jaipur from 8/31-9/2. Again no definitive plans here yet, but I would like to check out the Amber Fort. After that we head back to Delhi where we'll spend one more night, and then it is off to the Maldives via a short layover in Sri Lanka.

While in the Maldives, we will be boarding the Manta Charter (pictured), which will be our home for the next week. Our agenda consists of scuba diving, snorkeling, testing out surfing, games (yes, there are talks of bringing twister) sun bathing, and relaxing! I'm just hoping I don't run into any sharks scuba diving. After hearing about the Seychelles shark attack, I'm a little freaked out! Although, Google maps does show a good distance between the two islands, so I feel a little at ease.

Stay tuned for more adventures...

I'm leaving on a jet plane...don't know when I'll be back again....


No comments:

Post a Comment